Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Selling Flowers at the Airport

My last beer, ever.

The Meaning of Life, the Universe, and Everything

It's debatable what that is of course.  The simple answer is duh, 42.

But I mean, when I was introduced to cheese and exploring FOOD in general several years ago, I might have said food.  (I was raised by a mother who hated to cook/bake, and to this day she's like, "What's an avocado?!"  In her defense, I grew up eating the "food groups", it was just usually boxed grains, canned/frozen veg and a meat.  A lot of casserole and chili.)

When I was introduced to BEER, that seemed like a really great reason to be here too.  Especially once I discovered there was something better than Guinness (my first beer) thanks to my supersexyboyfriend (he HATES that I call him that, so now I can make sure he never reads my blog) who crafts his own brews, I was like Guinness?  Shite!  And continued on into other craft brews and fell into love with BEER.  And the boyfriend too. ;)

Then, after frankly a lifetime of what I assumed were normal bodily malfunctions which led up to an errant trainwreck of them, I ended up in the hospital.  A lot.
One of the findings was that I was lactose-intolerant.  (Which, if you read the last post, you'll know that the saving grace of this finding was that, well thank THE FUCKING POWERS THAT BE THAT AT LEAST I'M NOT ACCURSED WITH THE INABILITY TO TOLERATE GLUTEN.)

(see what I did there?  A PRAYING Mantis.  Ha!)

But nooooooope.  So when the doc called I had already opened up this bottle of beer, left by supersexyboyfriend, an 'Aud Bruin'.  LIKE I AM NOT GOING TO DRINK IT.

It's like when you are eating cookies, and you accidentally eat the last one before you realize it was the last one.  YOU HAVE TO KNOW.  You have to know it is the last one, so you can properly savor it.  


I never said goodbye to cheese.

So I WILL say goodbye to beer.

My whole point is, you know those nice cultists at the airport selling flowers at the airport?  I think I've got it figured out.  They all have gastro-intestinal/endocrine or other issues.  They're always skinny right?  They've just decided to give it all up, cuz - what's the point?!  So they sell it all, decide to keep it simple and eat ya know, fruit, and wear a sheet.  Simple, easy.  And share the love at the airport, where love is needed.  Always spread love, not VD.

I even have a RECIPE for you.

That's how nice I am.  I might be a little angsty, but I can still share.

This is my recipe for DF (dairy-free) GF (as luck so happens since I'd developed this prior to today) mashed potatoes!

Easy Instant DF/GF Mashed Potatoes:

recipe may not be reproduced without written permission of Katherine Alexander

1. Take your box of Gluten-free (most are) Instant Mashed Potatoes (whatever serving size you need)
2. Follow the instructions EXCEPT:
    Replace milk with almond milk
    Replace butter with Coconut Oil

3. When finished cooking add the following:
     salt and pepper to taste
     Cayenne Pepper (opt.)
     1 tsp. Passion Flower (as an herbalist I have this on hand, this is optional but I put in almost everything!)
     1 tsp. (or more based on serving size you made) Basil
     1 tsp. (or more based on serving size you made) Oregano

~ the seasonings are key for making it taste like "real" mashed potatoes but you can adjust them to your taste.  If you don't add the spices, they will taste "off/different" but if you do, I find I prefer these to dairy potatoes!

ENJOY, and catch you next time ;)








No comments:

Post a Comment